As per direction of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India(TRAI), Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited(BSNL) has introduced a DOT prescribed number 155223 for deactivation of Voice as well as for SMS based Value Added Services(VAS). As defined in Wikipedia,
A value-added service (VAS) is a popular telecommunications industry term for non-core services, or in short, all services beyond standard voice calls and fax transmissions.
For example, BSNL provides Value added service like Email 2 SMS, BSNL Live & Hello TV, Cricket Score, Mobile TV, BSNL Tune, Email on SMS, Job, Health, Stock Market, etc. But, negative part is that, some value added services are activated on mobile without our consent and charging a good amount monthly in our mobile bill.This may be happening because of touch screen, handling mobile device by children etc.
So, to get rid of these sort of unnecessary Value Added Services(VAS), we can easily unsubscribe via SMS and IVRS. The detailed procedure is explained below.
Procedure to deactivate VAS through SMS mode:
- Type “STOP” and send it to 155223 from your mobile phone. (A blank SMS may also be sent to 155223)
- You will get a list of all VAS services activated on your mobile number.
- Now reply back with the option of the VAS you want to deactivate, selected from the list of VAS activated on your phone.
- You will receive an SMS informing the receipt of your deactivation request (with the name of VAS) that the service will be deactivated within 4 hours. (In case of incorrect response sent by you, an SMS will be sent to you informing the method once again)
- After actual deactivation of VAS, you will receive an SMS to confirm that the service (with the name of VAS) has been deactivated.
Procedure to deactivate VAS through IVRS mode:
In each State, the IVRS is available with an option of minimum 2 languages – English and the dominant language of the state.
- On dialing 155223, you will be offered over a recorded announcement, the list of VAS activated on your mobile e.g. “…welcome to XYZ Telecom Ltd….to Stop Caller Tunes Press 1, to Stop Cricket Alert press 2…… to repeat press 0…” (in case Caller Tune and Cricket Alert are active)
- You can select the VAS to be deactivated, by pressing the appropriate key for the VAS to be deactivated. e.g. “to deactivate Cricket Alert, you shall press 2.”
- You will receive an SMS informing that the request to deactivate the VAS has been received; it will be deactivated within 4 hours.
- After deactivation of the VAS, another SMS confirming the deactivation of VAS will be sent to you.
In case of wrong key pressed or no key pressed for 10 seconds:
- You will be informed that the key pressed is wrong and the list of activated VAS will be repeated once again.
- If you are not able to press correct key again, you will be transferred to a call centre agent.
Procedure to deactivate VAS through Online mode:
Recently, BSNL also started online procedure to deactivate any unwanted Value Added Services (VAS) through its specially designed web portal. Here’s the detailed procedure:
- Go to http://www.vas.bsnl.co.in/vas/deactivation.jsp
- Select Zone, Select Short Code and Enter your Mobile No
By these three process BSNL customers can easily deactivate unwanted Value Added Services (VAS) from their mobile.